Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Vogue 1218

I was so intrigued by this pattern that I thought I would give it a try.  I rarely wear a dress so I decided to make it as a top.

V1218

I really challenged myself to get the top to fit.  I used my sloper and tweaked the design slightly to fit my 'curvey' self.




This is my 'muslin'.  I had this grey knit in my stash and thought if it worked it would be what I call a wearable muslin.  If it did not work - so problem.  Fortunately it worked!  I really love the fit of this top and all of the design lines. 





Close up of the top.  You can see from this pic that I did change the lines slightly as I needed a bust dart.  I rotated the bust dart to the horizontal line and used the vertical lines as a waist dart.



    
 

The back was the most challenging to fit.  As you know it is so difficult to fit your own back.  Even with Chesty (my custom dress form) it was difficult.  I had planned to put an exposed zipper in the back but choose not to as the top pulls over my head and it was just a muslin after all.  I have some luscious double sided knit I purchase in NYC so I plan to make the real version out of that and will post it when completed.

I tried a technique on the hem that I learned in a recent class, but not sure that I like the outcome.  The jury is still out as I have not worn the top.

Happy Sewing,
Michele P

2 comments:

  1. I really like the lines of this top, Michele. Hope it turns out to be a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michele, I like this and the necktie tee. Did you use the hem technique we learned in our workshop? I had trouble with that on a curved hem. The width of the fusible is a little too wide for it to lie down smoothly. I'm with you -- jury is still out on that one.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...