Friday, June 24, 2011

Faux Retired and how to 'wear' it

Definition:
Faux Retired - Not working anymore with no pension or retirement income.

I am Faux Retired!  Now that I do not work a 9 - 5, I am struggling to find my style.  I was very comfortable with my working wardrobe, suits, pumps, silk blouses , briefcase and gown for the occasional black tie function. 

Now when I attempt to  dress for the day, I quickly realize that I only have 'work' clothes or outfits that are suitable for painting or gardening and otherwise I would not be caught dead wearing out of  the house !

I want to be comfortable yet stylish. Here are a few ideas:

Seam-Shaped Cowlneck  


Cultivation Skirt
Helios Batik Midi


I find skirts easy to make and fit - yet not quite so easy to wear. Having worn panty hose for 20+ years, I struggle to wear a skirt without them.  I hate to see my pasty white legs in a skirt - so I wear pants. However, pants are very hard for me to fit and I don't seem to be able to find any that fit my shape at any price point.  So what to do?  I guess I will faux tan my legs and wear skirts! 

I am working on a few skirts this week and hope to post them soon.


PLEASE leave a comment if you have had a similar conundrum and how you solved it!  I really want to hear from you.

Happy Sewing,
Michele P

4 comments:

  1. All look like good ideas to me, Michele. As for your legs--try TowelTan. You can order them online or buy at Sephora.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same problem with hose. I can't believe how much dress shoes hurt your feet when there are no hose to protect your feet. I saw Christy Brinkley on television and she had sheer black hose on with a white summer dress!!!!!!! Maybe hose are on the way back? Anyway skirts can work with tights.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do have a similar problem I've just started making skirts. I use one of attractive pant lengths and let it go. I am what I am and the people I love, love me because of it.

    sdBev
    sdBev.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. It has taken me many years but I now embrace my white legs! Bring on the skirts!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...