Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The morphing of Vogue 8552


I've had this Vogue pattern for quite a while.  I made the dress (as a top) and it turned out to be a wader!  It was just too full in the body for me.  Who knew?  I really don't think you would be able to determine that from just the picture.

I really like the look of the top and have seen it on so many designer dresses, so I decided to try it again. I used the pleat idea to drape the top for the dress and took most of the fullness out of it.  Here it is:

I had this wild navy Texas print silk charmeuse in the stash for years - so it is really free - and the black 'skirt' fabric is a bottom weight rayon knit.  Usually black and navy don't work together, but the navy is so dark that is worked when I added this yellow belt.  It seems to tie the two together and pulls out the yellow in the print.

Close up of the pleat detail

Close up of the 'belt'  - Petersham of course!

I added an exposed back zipper

Close up of the zipper

If you read my blog, you know how I feel about my arms.  Not a fan. So I made this little shrug out of black knit to cover them.

Close up of the shrug

I am really pleased how the dress turned out.  I will be looking for yellow knit to make another shrug and when I find it, I will post it also.

Please leave me a comment or click a box to let me know what you think.

Happy Sewing,
Michele P



  1. Great combination of fabrics there! I love the yellow belt to tie it all together too!

    I'm following your lovely blog now - look forward to reading more!

    Thanks for linking to the Creating Success Worldwide blog hop!! Hope you'll come back again next week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success

  2. great dress!!!!!
    found you at tea rose home's link party

  3. Hi! I just found your blog via the ASG newsletter, "Notions", and can see that I will enjoy reading about your sewing adventures. Come on over to my blog sometime, and introduce yourself.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...